On Saturday, we went to the fish store. I’d been hoping for some time to stop by and see if there was any livestock in, and also we were running low on food. I bought a few different types of food for both tanks that I won’t bore you with, but suffice it to say that everybody now has a lot more variety in their diets, which can only be a good thing. Nobody is a picky eater anymore, so everybody seems to be OK with each new type of food.
I’ll start with the saltwater tank updates: I bought an algae scraping blade since there was some algae on the sides of the tank that was getting pretty tough to look at. The magnet cleaner just didn’t have enough zazz to get this stuff off, but the blade worked very well. The only downside is that I have to stick my whole arm into the tank to clean it, but the tank looks great. You’ll probably be able to notice a big difference the next time I post pictures of that tank, but that day isn’t today. Sorry, no new pictures today 🙁
Next, I picked up a Diamond Watchman Goby that I thought was large enough to handle the fish already in the tank. These guys are sand-sifting machines (they are the same type of fish that Flip was) so as long as he can get along with Dusty, we should be OK here. Also, they had a good looking Royal Gramma which is a lot like the pseudochromis I had before (Scooter) only not as aggressive and territorial. These are both fish I had originally considered for stocking the tank, and as long as they can get accustomed to the tank’s high activity level, they will make a great addition.
That being said, they have been hiding very well since Saturday when I put them in the tank, which is why I don’t have pictures of them yet. I’ve seen them both, but not for long enough to actually take a picture of either one. Neither one of them has a name yet, but once we know they’re going to live and develop a personality, they will get names and I’ll post them here.
Also, for the second time, I found Sunny in the overflow and I had to get him out of there. I’m going to have to remodel that overflow for a couple of reasons. I’ll try to prevent any smaller fish from getting sucked up into the overflow cup, but I also want to remove the sponge filters and replace it with some live rock rubble and maybe some of the macroalgae in the refugium. I hope to get that done early this week so hopefully there will be an update soon with some pictures of what I’ve done here. If all goes well, this will be sort of a mini-refugium hanging on the back of the tank.
Next, an update on the freshwater tank: I got one more piece of driftwood and I plan to get more stem plants. Herbert enjoys the driftwood, and hopefully I’ll have some pictures of that soon. Nothing significant has changed here, so that’s why there are no new pictures yet.