Forum

These forums are a place where Dominion content can be created, revised, and eventually published on the Wake up, Meeples blog. They also serve as a place for discussion and feedback for Making Luck: A Dominion Podcast.

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Making Luck Minisode 49: Points in Money Decks

In this minisode, Wandering Winder discusses points in money decks.

Thanks, WW, for another great minisode!

There was just one thing I wasn't quite clear on. Around the 33 minute mark you talked about how if you're playing money then you're generally going to want to "front run", but then you said that in a mirror you want to start greening earlier. To me it seems that as long as my opponent and I are both going for Provinces as our primary source of VP then my decision of when to start greening will usually just be made on the basis of whatever I think is going to get me to four or five Provinces as quickly as possible. This is so regardless of whether my opponent is mirroring me or playing a different type of deck, as long as there's no plausible alternative to Provinces as the main VP source.

On the other hand, if one of us is going for Alt-VP while the other is going for Provinces then the game is going to go longer so both of us will indeed start greening later than we would if we were contesting the same source of VP.

So I'm saying that the decision of when to start greening is more about whether or not we're contesting the same source of VP than whether we're playing the same kind of deck. Perhaps this was what you meant?

Quote from arflutter on November 7, 2018, 3:36 AM

Thanks, WW, for another great minisode!

There was just one thing I wasn't quite clear on. Around the 33 minute mark you talked about how if you're playing money then you're generally going to want to "front run", but then you said that in a mirror you want to start greening earlier. To me it seems that as long as my opponent and I are both going for Provinces as our primary source of VP then my decision of when to start greening will usually just be made on the basis of whatever I think is going to get me to four or five Provinces as quickly as possible. This is so regardless of whether my opponent is mirroring me or playing a different type of deck, as long as there's no plausible alternative to Provinces as the main VP source.

On the other hand, if one of us is going for Alt-VP while the other is going for Provinces then the game is going to go longer so both of us will indeed start greening later than we would if we were contesting the same source of VP.

So I'm saying that the decision of when to start greening is more about whether or not we're contesting the same source of VP than whether we're playing the same kind of deck. Perhaps this was what you meant?

Basically similar, but my point more or less is that, if your opponent is building more than you, they are going to have more access to other sources of VP - on every board, there's at least Duchy. If my deck falls apart after 4 provinces, then my opponent who can get a duchy or two by the time they get their 4th, they're going to beat me. If I can get to 5, then it's not *that* uncommon that they can get the 4 duchies to make up the difference. Most kingdoms anymore have some little extra source of points nowadays, and every bit of points makes you want to build more.

But basically you're right - effectively what I'm saying is that if you aren't mirrored, then your opponent effectively is going to have more access to other sources of VP, which means you can't just race to 4 provinces and fall apart. But in the mirror, your opponent's deck would fall apart too, so you mostly are worried about racing.