Forum

These forums are a place where Dominion content can be created, revised, and eventually published on the Wake up, Meeples blog. They also serve as a place for discussion and feedback for Making Luck: A Dominion Podcast.

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Episode 36: Inheritance

In this episode, Adam and Jake discuss Inheritance from Adventures.

Kingdom at the end: University, Chariot Race, Lookout, Ironworks, Nomad Camp, Capital, Charm, Duke, Groundskeeper, Expand, Inheritance

First, you asked people to say if they like the podcast, so here goes: I really like the podcast! Thank you very much to both of you for all the time and effort that must go into making it.

Regarding Inheritance, there's another card that doesn't work with it for technical reasons that you didn't mention: Treasure Map. The second part of the card says "If you trashed two Treasure Maps...", and this condition isn't met unless both of the trashed cards are real Treasure Maps, because the Estate doesn't gain the name of the card inherited but only the types and abilities.

Oooh, math time.

Only getting silvers, you've got an 8.8% chance to hit 7 on turns 3 or 4.

If you have 4 silvers in your deck, along with your starting cards, then starting from a clean shuffle, in 2 turns you have a 38.8% chance of hitting at least 7. (In reality, turns 5 and 6 will be a better chance here, because you would have gotten gold if you hit 6, which means you didn't hit 6 on turns 3 or 4, which means that your turn 5 will generally be somewhat above average).

If you instead have 3 silvers and a gold in your deck, along with your starting cards, then starting from a clean shuffle, in 2 turns you have a 47.4% chance of hitting at least 7 within 2 turns. (In reality, turns 5 and 6 will be a worse chance here, because you got a gold in turns 3-4, which means that you had above average draws then, which means your turn 5 will generally be somewhat below average).

From that we an see that the just-buy-treasure plan is going to get you to Inheritance in your second reshuffle (that is, turn 5-6) almost half the time.

However, I think the biggest reason you should almost never go for that is that if you're going for inheritance, by definition there's a 4-cost-or-less action card that you're happy to have 3 of in your deck, and in most of those cases, I have to think you're happy to have 4 of them as well? There's probably some exceptions... Like, Smithy is going to help you spike 7 a lot more than silver will, but on the other hand, 4 smithies in a deck that size is... well, it might actually be fine? I guess it's probably better than not having it, but maybe not better than something like gold. Regardless, there's probably also a 5 that's better.

Quote from arflutter on August 10, 2018, 12:46 PM

Regarding Inheritance, there's another card that doesn't work with it for technical reasons that you didn't mention: Treasure Map. The second part of the card says "If you trashed two Treasure Maps...", and this condition isn't met unless both of the trashed cards are real Treasure Maps, because the Estate doesn't gain the name of the card inherited but only the types and abilities.

This may be worth a mention on the next episode...

...and I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast 😀