Forum

These forums are a place where Dominion content can be created, revised, and eventually published on the Wake up, Meeples blog. They also serve as a place for discussion and feedback for Making Luck: A Dominion Podcast.

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Episode 27: Royal Blacksmith and Overlord

In this episode, Adam and Jake discuss Royal Blacksmith and Overlord from Empires.

Kingdom at the end: Overlord, Royal Blacksmith, Transmute, Scheme, Farming Village, Sacrifice, Bandit Camp, Bridge Troll, Hunting Party, Storyteller, Expedition

Also I'm gonna try real hard to not suck at replying to things. I've decided that I don't have an excuse for that anymore.

I think in my first game of Dominion, I tried Scout/Great Hall.  I think that beats the City Quarter opener!

There are a couple other things I would mention about Royal Blacksmith.  First, Royal Blacksmith makes it pretty hard to trash coppers from hand, because the copper is no longer in your hand!  There have been times when I tried getting Royal Blacksmith thinking I would trash the last few coppers later, and then it takes forever to do that.  Trashing coppers from the top of your deck is great though.

Second, if you play Royal Blacksmith with coppers, triggering a shuffle is pretty bad.

Kingdom at the end: I definitely don't agree with the Bandit Camp opener.  I think Hunting Party is the best fiver in your 2nd shuffle, because it cycles to your Sacrifice, and is better for your economy than Storyteller.  (Although if you draw Overlord and Sacrifice together, you might well play that Overlord as something else.) With this in mind, my openers are:

5/2 - Hunting Party / Overlord (play as Sacrifice)
4/3 - Sacrifice / Overlord (play as Hunting Party)
3/4 - Silver / Sacrifice
2/5 - Overlord (play as Sacrifice, buy sacrifice next shuffle)

I'm not keen on Overlord here, outside the opener.  The important fiver piles will run out.

I was thinking you could probably skip Royal Blacksmith, since Hunting Party is probably good enough.  But I think 1 Royal Blacksmith could be really great, if you combine it with a village and a couple Schemes.  Generally it would be bad to discard copper and have that mix with your Spoils and other good stuff you discarded, but Hunting Party or Storyteller could sift through that discard pretty good.

Quote from trivialknot on June 6, 2018, 7:37 PM

If you play Royal Blacksmith with coppers, triggering a shuffle is pretty bad.

Sure, if you trigger the reshuffle with the Coppers in the discard. On the other hand if the Royal Blacksmith itself triggers the reshuffle (quite likely given it draws so many cards) then presumably that's a good thing as the Coppers miss the shuffle.

Quote from Adam Horton on June 5, 2018, 8:38 PM

Also I'm gonna try real hard to not suck at replying to things. I've decided that I don't have an excuse for that anymore.

You have a pregnant wife.

You're sick.

You're generally a busy person.

Seems like there are a lot of excuses you could use

Moreover, though, I don't feel like you've been bad at responding at all. At least here - can't speak as much for YouTube comments or other places this may be posted, because I haven't checked them out.

Quote from WanderingWinder on June 7, 2018, 4:57 PM
Quote from Adam Horton on June 5, 2018, 8:38 PM

You have a pregnant wife.

You're sick.

You're generally a busy person.

Seems like there are a lot of excuses you could use

Moreover, though, I don't feel like you've been bad at responding at all. At least here - can't speak as much for YouTube comments or other places this may be posted, because I haven't checked them out.

Yeah that referred to the amount of replying I've been doing on these forums, I just feel like I wasn't doing a lot of it in the past two weeks. I mean sure I have other things going on in my life but I don't want to go halfway on the podcast -- if I'm going to invest as much time as I do prepping, recording games, recording podcast, editing, and promoting the podcast as I do, I should put in the extra little bit where I really interact with the audience.

I appreciate your understanding, but being hard on myself is something that motivates me so I'll probably keep doing it 😛

I don't really have anything to say about Royal Blacksmith.

Overlord is much more interesting to me, though I think you covered it quite well already. The only extra questions I have is: How good is it as village-or-smithy ? (i.e. village effect or terminal draw). Because that would seem to give you better consistency, at the price of being harder to set up. So how do you weigh those things  against each other? I suppose Village + Terminal in general could be similar.

I assume that when you have 8 floating around anyway, it is often going to be better than buying the cheaper thing (assuming that pile will never run out). I also assume that when playing the card in the action phase, you more or less play all your other cards first, until it becomes clear that you need to play Overlord as a village (or I guess another nonterminal), and then once that/your draw is done, you figure out what the best payload could be. And the only real exception to this would be with gainers? Pretty simple I suppose - just an application of keeping your options open.

I guess I should say about the kingdom, I am on board for Bridge Troll, but I disagree about how you're getting there I think. The way I want to draw is with Hunting Parties. And then I think I'd probably lean for Farming Villages over Bandit Camps. The biggest reason is that this just takes a lot better advantage of Bridge Troll economy in building the deck - 8 debt just seems highly expensive here. But in reality, I think it will end up playing quite similarly in style.

The only other thing I can think to try is HP big money with probably 2 Bridge trolls (possibly one of which is actually an Overlord, which can thin estates - definitely want the overlord, question is only whether you get a 2nd bridge troll as well). But I don't really believe in it - figure it's probably a couple turns behind.

We addressed a decent amount of this in the podcast. I never tried a HP stack in this game, but I have the same suspicions about it as you. I may give it a shot this week and if anything surprising comes up we can address it in some later bread 🙂