Forum

These forums are a place where Dominion content can be created, revised, and eventually published on the Wake up, Meeples blog. They also serve as a place for discussion and feedback for Making Luck: A Dominion Podcast.

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Episode 19: Procession

In this episode, Adam and Jake discuss Procession from the Dark Ages expansion.

Kingdom at the end: Monastery, Patrician, Warehouse, Horse Traders, Procession, Trader, Cartographer, Minion, Wild Hunt, Nobles

I wasn't really a fan of the bonus episode either.  I mean, 45 min is kind of a long time to extend the joke.

For the kingdom at the end, I think the decks will struggle a lot with hand size.  You want some Warehouses, and you'll also be forced to get them whenever you Process Patricians, but if you Process a Warehouse, you decrease your handsize by 2.  So what do you do afterwards, play terminal draw and spin your wheels?  Or do you play Minion, increasing your handsize, but also neutralizing Warehouse's sifting?  I think the best thing to do might be to Process a Horse Traders.

So a few disagreements.  On 5/2 I far prefer Minion over Cartographer.  You can just do a lot of things with Minion -- use it for economy, use it for a hand size attack, play it before Processing Horse Traders, play it after playing too many Warehouses, etc.  Maybe Minion isn't good by the time you have lots of Wild Hunts, but who cares, Minion is Nobles by that point.

Second, I don't think it's good to get estates early here.  You can trash them with Monastery, but that requires having Monastery and Estate in hand at the end of turn, and hand size is at a premium.  Although, the game will end pretty quickly so maybe the points are important.  You can just sift the Estates.

I don't have a lot to say. I think you covered Procession pretty well. I probably would have talked a bit more about what it does to piles, but that's splitting nits, or picking hairs, or some other mixed cliche or wrong metaphor.

In terms of the kingdom at the end, I think I take a pretty different tack. I mostly want to build a Minion deck, with probably a monastery, a Horse Traders, at some point some Nobles, a Procession or two, and maybe a Wild Hunt to steal a big pile of points your opponent gets, but not having that as a main strat. You get a silver, maybe two early, and grab a bunch of Emporiums, because why not, and because Emporium will be pretty good.

The game's going to end on 3 piles, and I think it's going to end pretty fast. But my main differences are that I don't want to go heavy Proc (though I do want some of that, in large part for pile control), and I really want to focus Minion hard and not really Wild Hunt basically at all.

Quote from WanderingWinder on April 14, 2018, 11:38 AM

In terms of the kingdom at the end, I think I take a pretty different tack. I mostly want to build a Minion deck, with probably a monastery, a Horse Traders, at some point some Nobles, a Procession or two, and maybe a Wild Hunt to steal a big pile of points your opponent gets, but not having that as a main strat. You get a silver, maybe two early, and grab a bunch of Emporiums, because why not, and because Emporium will be pretty good.

The game's going to end on 3 piles, and I think it's going to end pretty fast. But my main differences are that I don't want to go heavy Proc (though I do want some of that, in large part for pile control), and I really want to focus Minion hard and not really Wild Hunt basically at all.

I've played several games with this kingdom now, against bots and humans. I believe Minion has a place in the deck, but when I built something that I called a "Minion deck" I felt like I was just playing a less good deck than I should be, since a deck with only Minion as card draw is not good here, at all, and from my experience, Wild Hunt is important as both card draw, and a source of points (just because WH will be played so many times it's hard to avoid).

Was there something more specific you had in mind for a "Minion deck"?

Quote from Adam Horton on April 15, 2018, 8:35 PM
Quote from WanderingWinder on April 14, 2018, 11:38 AM

I've played several games with this kingdom now, against bots and humans. I believe Minion has a place in the deck, but when I built something that I called a "Minion deck" I felt like I was just playing a less good deck than I should be, since a deck with only Minion as card draw is not good here, at all, and from my experience, Wild Hunt is important as both card draw, and a source of points (just because WH will be played so many times it's hard to avoid).

Was there something more specific you had in mind for a "Minion deck"?

It's a bit hard to describe. I'm not really trying to draw a bunch of cards and play lots of other actions with Minions - that will run out of steam too fast. I'm just envisioning that piles are going to end fast, and Wild Hunt will take a while to get up and going, because Procession as your only village seems a little sketchy to build tons off of, so my thought was that you'd not want many of them until you're starting to get into having some Nobles. Maybe I'm underestimating like, Procession on HT-> WH and Nobles? It's also possible I'm misevaluating what WH is doing for you, having never played iwth it.

In any case, I expect it to be the kind of game where adjusting your pre-game plan to how the draws work out, as well as adjusting for pile considerations, should both be important, so it's not a thing you can plan too hugely up front. I assume you'd at least agree with that?

As fo the other, I don't really know how to describe it much better. Kind of the thing that more needs to be played I think.

Quote from WanderingWinder on April 16, 2018, 4:41 PM

It's also possible I'm misevaluating what WH is doing for you, having never played iwth it.

Wild Hunt is a very strong card, unignorable whenever there's a village around, kind of like Torturer in that way.

I was surprised at the number of times I was playing Nobles for actions and was very happy about it. Yeah it's not a great village, but I don't think the deck would have functioned very well without Nobles-for-actions, especially given that they were pretty easy to gain off of Processioned fivers.