I’ve been busy this week with real life, but I finally have a chance to update again, mostly with more pictures and video. I’ll focus on the freshwater tank, but there has been one development in the saltwater tank that I need to address:
The diamond watchman goby found a small gap in the lid over the tank and managed to jump through, so we came home to him laying on top of the fish tank, and needless to say he didn’t make it through that. Those guys are known escape artists, so this is expected to happen, but I thought I had taken enough precautions to protect against this. I guess I hadn’t. I’d like to get another diamond watchman, since the tank could really benefit from one, but we’ll see.
Here’s a picture of Sarge to cheer you up:
Now on to some good stuff. I’m finally happy with the way the freshwater tank looks now. The plants are doing well, and I’ve been able to keep the algae controlled pretty well also. I have some pictures and a video of some clips of that tank also. Enjoy!
This update brings good news as far as the fish are concerned in both tanks, so I’ll start with the only bad news, which isn’t really bad for anyone but me.
Over the last week, there have been some pretty intense electrical storms, which resulted in all of the pumps on both tanks failing. Most of the situation has been fixed, so the only thing lost is all the money to replace all of the pumps, but I’m still having more than my fair share of trouble with the main return pump in the saltwater tank. I still need to figure out what the real problem is here, because the battery backup isn’t working right and even a brand new pump isn’t working, so I’m still using the backup pump at this time.
Speaking of the saltwater tank plumbing, I’ve made a minor adjustment. I’ve taken the sponges out of the overflow cups and replaced one of them with some chaeto trimmings from the refugium. I took an updated video and a picture of it, which I’ll link to soon. It took about a week to get the kinks worked out of this setup, mostly because I had a problem with it making a “slurping” noise, but now it’s running pretty well and quietly. In the process, I noticed Sunny had made his way into the overflow cup for the third time, so I put some mesh up there to deter him from that, and with some more tweaking there, that finally keep Sunny out and doesn’t cause any huge issues with the plumbing or noise either. Here’s the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6opIKszNlg
Now for an update on the two recent additions to the saltwater tank: The royal gramma is doing great, he’s finally overcome the initial aggression and is starting to show some personality. The diamond watchman goby took a little longer since he got some (expected) extra harassment from Dusty, but since he’s bigger than Dusty, I figured he would eventually stand his ground. He now has a hole dug out that he defends and is out and visible when the lights are on; it’s pretty easy to tell the areas where he’s been sifting the sand, since they’re starting to become much cleaner. We got a video of the diamond watchman defending his territory against Dusty, though Dusty doesn’t really go near there much anymore.
The cardinal I was worried about before has bounced back pretty well. I’m still trying to figure out what the source of all this aggression was, but he’s hanging out with a different cardinal (the smallest one) and the aggression has toned down. He’s eating again, and is starting to heal; There’s a picture of him along with recent pictures of a lot of fish (including one of Herbert) below.
Finally, some thought on the near future of these tanks. Once I get the plumbing situation figured out, I’ll most likely leave the saltwater tank alone for a while to focus on the freshwater tank. The only changes I plan to make to the saltwater tank anytime soon are the addition of two tangs, which may be a while to get here. I want to add a few more stem plants to the freshwater tank, and hopefully get a lot of good pictures of that tank in the near future.