A lot has happened in the two days since I updated last, and I have pictures of most of it.
First, the Royal Gramma and Diamond Watchman Goby have been doing well since Monday. The gramma has found his hiding place, has become less shy, and knows when it’s feeding time. I’m fairly confident that he’ll do just fine in the tank. Still no name yet, but here are some pictures
The Diamond Watchman has found his hiding place too, but is much more shy. This makes sense because Dusty looks similar to him and gobies can be aggressive toward each other, so Dusty harasses him whenever he sees him. I don’t think it will last very long, though, because the Diamond Watchman is bigger than Dusty and already is standing his ground for a while. We saw a confrontation last night when the Diamond Watchman came out to graze on the sand (I actually got a decent picture); Dusty nervously came up and kicked up a little sand, and the Diamond Watchman eventually scampered back into his hole, but I think it’s only a matter of time before he puts Dusty in his place and comes out a lot more often. Here are the pictures I have of that:
It’s good to know at this point that both new additions are doing fine. There should be plenty of space in this tank for the both of them, and the sand bed certainly needs to be moved around more.
The next update: I’ve been tweaking the plumbing a bit for a couple of reasons. I decided that the sponges that used to be in the overflow cups are causing more harm than good, so I removed them. I want to turn the overflow that’s on the display tank into a mini-refugium (since it’s right next to the light). It would be a great place for some chaeto, so I put some down in there. I had to make a couple of adjustments, though, since the sponges were the only thing keeping Sunny from going down through the plumbing when he made his way into the overflow. I added some mesh screen onto the overflow cup and in a couple of other places so now Sunny can’t get into the overflow. I planned to take a video of the new setup, but I’ve been having more issues with the pump so I’ll probably hold off on that until those issues are taken care of.
One more thing, yesterday during the day, it looks like the cardinals were doing their thing again, because when I came home, someone had a mouthful of eggs:
It’s good to know that there’s at least one mated pair in the tank, so hopefully we’ll eventually have some babies, but I’m not holding my breath this time. The behavior is different this time, though. Two of the other cardinals (I suspect they’re both females) have been chasing the male instead of protecting him. Maybe he was messing around a little too much and now there’s some Jerry Springer action going on in the fish tank; who knows…